Working visa

If you plan to stay in Japan for a long period of time, more than 90 days, or want to work in Japan, you will need a working visa. These are types of working visa’s that exist in Japan.

All visa types are for 1 or 3 years. The final decision on length of stay lies with the Japanese government.

Please click on the link to visit the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs website to get application information.

type examples
Professor university professor, assistant professor, assistant, etc.
Artist composers, songwriters, artists, sculptors, craftspeople, photographers, etc.
Religious activities religious people such as monks, bishops, missionaries, etc.
Journalist newspaper journalists, magazine journalists, editors, news cameramen, announcers, etc.
Investor/business manager company presidents, officers, etc.
Legal/accounting services attorneys, judicial scriveners, public accountants, tax accountants, etc. certified in Japan
Medical services physicians, dentists, pharmacists, nurses, etc. certified in Japan
Researcher researchers, investigators, etc. at research institutes, etc.
Instructor teachers, etc. at elementary schools, intermediate schools and high schools
Engineer scientific engineers, IT engineers, etc.
Specialist in humanities/International Services Examples: foreign language teachers, interpreters, copywriters, designers, etc.
Intra-company transferee people transferred to the Japanese branch (head office of the same company, etc.)
Entertainer musicians, actors, singers, dancers, sportspeople, models, etc.
Skilled labor chefs specializing in the food of a foreign country, animal trainers, pilots, sports trainers, sommeliers, etc.